R: Recommended (This is at the top of the pile.)
Creative Must (Does something different really well.)
I have a lot of feels about this book, and it’s difficult to sort out the frustration from the awe. I have to admit the writing was great since it kept me awake last night to finish, but then I couldn’t fall asleep due to the feels of frustration and anger over some of the last story bits. Kudos to the author for writing such great depth that I, the reader, could empathize so deeply with the characters and story. I enjoyed most of the great story twists, and the ones I didn’t could be overlooked due to the great story. Enough of my confused rambling, here’s what you need to know in a nutshell.
- Fantastic writing, both the characters and world-building flowed smoothly
- Depth of feelings was real and believable
- Main character, Twylla, was fun to follow as the focal point
- Plot twists that make the story even more exciting
- Seemingly empowered ending
- Character growth felt real throughout (except for one twist at the end)
- Ineffective love triangle, it just felt forced
- The ending was not straight forward enough, like it was scared to say which way it went
- Without spoilers, it’s hard to describe why the ending felt frustrating and unsatisfactory
The author has set up a story that could have a sequel, but I haven’t searched for that info. at this time. As a debut author, Salisbury has impressed me enough that this is a highly recommended read, and I will be on the lookout for more of her work in the future.
Reviewed from galley.