I just finished reading Silence Fallen, which is book 10 in the Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs. The series is adult urban fantasy and features shapeshifters, werewolves, vampires, and fae in the Northwestern states. I can’t remember when I first started reading it, maybe around book 4 or 5? But I have been impatiently waiting for each new addition ever since. Since some of you may not know this series, I decided not to review book 10 on its own, but to give you some overall insight into the full series. You know, to get you hooked!
Here are my top 5 reasons to pick up this series and never put it down!
- Quick reads due to fluid writing
- Each book stays around 300 pages and avoids purple prose
- Seems like once I start a book, I find myself only setting it down to use the toilet or sleep
- Fantastic characters
- Mercy is the driving story, so she gets her own numbered reason
- Adam, werewolf alpha that also has a sensitive and fun side
- Coyote, a Trickster that makes the occasional appearance
- Even the side characters that appear briefly get nuance built into them
- Cover art
- Dan Dos Santos is a genius of his craft, and these covers are all splendid
- Details match the interior story without spoilers
- Main character growth and maturity
- Unlike some series where the main character becomes invincible quickly, I don’t see Mercy having that problem
- Every experience (plot) has a profound and noticeable effect on the heroine
- Mercy has flaws, redemptive qualities, and as much personality as a human
- Mercy makes mistakes and learns from them
- Fantastic beasts and monsters
- Besides the big bads of werewolf, vampire, witch, and fae, we are introduced to other creatures from folklore
- No big bad is limited by the archetype (ie. Stefan the vampire loves Scooby-Doo)
- Monsters are not just good or evil, they exist on a spectrum
Hopefully, this gives you enough knowledge to get a sense of Mercy’s world without spoiling any of the major character developments or plotlines. If you’ve already read this series, please share why you liked or disliked it! Did I miss something important for this list?